The Ark City of Refuge opened its doors in 1992 in response to the extremely high rate of homelessness and unemployment in the Western Cape. It is unique among organisations and is the largest of its kind.
Since our inception, some 35,000 people have walked through our gates in need of help. Currently, we average about 800 people on-site.
In addition to providing for the physical needs of clients, we use Christian-based counseling and life-skills to bring about spiritual, mental, and physical healing and to facilitate re-introduction to the community. We care for those with no alternative options.
As a church, our mission is to glorify Jesus Christ in all that we do and to take part in the great commission.
The Ark provides a combination of services all on one premise:
- A registered primary and high school (grades 1 to 9)
- A creche
- Girls and boys homes
- A men’s home
- Single women and single mommies homes
- A drug and alcohol restoration centre (New Jerusalem)
- Workshops for training and income-generating purposes
- Job-placement office
In addition to the above, we provide the following:
- Life-skills training
- Spiritual counseling
- Three year certificated Bible School
- Fifty day introduction course in the word of God
- Adult literacy
- Parenting skills training
- Child-care training
- Sports facilities and activities
- Transportation to hospitals in the Peninsula
- Applications for I.D. documents, grants, and pensions
We have discovered that we have an amazing story to tell the world of changed lives where we put God first, then the poor and needy people, whom He has given us to work with, and then everything and everyone else. We are proud of the following achievements thus far in 2006:
- 350 people, young and old became born-again.
- 40 new Bible School Graduates
- 14 of our past scholars now excelling at University and Technikons. (7 of them in Italy on 3 yr scholarships)
- 80 New graduates from our drug and rehab centre who have moved on and back into society.
- 20 Graduates from our Basic Sewing Course
- 2 of our youth selected for Homeless Soccer World Cup Team
- 30 Graduates from our Basic Computer Programmes
- 20 Male and females placed in permanent employment
- 40 Male and females placed in temporary employment.